Sunday 15 October 2017

Continuity of student learning

I watched with interest a TV speech to the National Press Club of Australia by the CEO of the Business Council of Australia.  She outlined a plan for the reform of school and tertiary education in Australia.

My first comment is about her recommendation that outstanding teachers should be paid more to remain in the classroom rather than aspire to be school Principals.  I am not against paying them more  but not to the level of the remuneration of a school Principal.  The positive effect that an effective Principal has on the performance of a school is well documented and I have seen it over and over in the field.  A top Principal will ensure that all his teachers are up to the mark on best practices.

My second comment is that the speaker in referring to student performance in Australian primary (elementary) and secondary (high) schools did not mention how vital it is to ensure continuity of learning for each student.  That is in subjects where mastery of prerequisites is needed to move on to new learning, the next step if you will, teachers need to be dogged in enabling students to attain the necessary mastery.  I still have my serious doubts that there is a commitment to this in all schools and I continue to worry about relevant data transfer as students move to new teachers in the next school year and from primary to secondary school.  In some cases there are more transition points from primary to middle school to secondary school.

My book on effective schools is big on the continuity theme and I have shared this in previous posts on this blog with almost the passion of a zealot.



May the Force be with you as you carry on being great school Principals!


GD

No comments:

Post a Comment