Monday 10 April 2017

Compulsory testing for first year entrants to formal schooling

Some time ago I penned a post opposing this.  I am thrilled today to read that the following groups have come out in serious opposition to this Australian Federal Government trial of compulsory phonics testing:


  • 20 academics for four Western Australian universities;
  • The Australian Government Primary Principals Association; and
  • The deputy Executive Director of the Association of Independent Schools of Western Australia.

(Source:  Hiatt Bethany, "Academics reject test on phonics", The West Australian, 11 April, 2017, p14)

I gave my reasons in my previous post and which was a copy of a protest email to Simon Birmingham the Federal Minister for Education.  I received a reply largely explaining what I already knew.

As a Principal I would know that my teachers of these new school entrants would be diagnosing the children's English language skills when they entered school and on the basis of this diagnosis set the plans for moving the children forward.  Some new entrants will have comprehensive English language skills others will not.  Teachers know what to do, although one has to think that the Federal government has minimal confidence in the professional skills of Australia's teachers.

May the Force be with you!


GD

No comments:

Post a Comment